We’re having a new a/c unit installed today which means workmen in the attic over my head. So I’ve been outside with pen and paper and it’s been a gorgeous autumn day with lightly clouded blue skies and temps only hitting the mid-sixties.
I’ve been writing on Hope for the Holidays and though I’ve done all the pre-work of learning about these two people, I’m struggling a bit. Part of that is because my writing gears are rusty. And part of it is because I couldn’t settle on their names.
I absolutely must have my names fixed within the first ten pages. Most of the time before I begin. Sometimes, however, I’ll go ahead with what I think works, only to find myself chafing because this person or that person needs a better fitting name.
But these two… I got the names right yet they were still giving me problems. They both have heavy backstories so what I was writing felt real, but it also felt… whiny. Pathetic. Like they’re feeling sorry for themselves when they don’t at all.
And then I realized that even though I’d colored their hair, I had no idea what they looked like. I even changed my heroine’s hair color three times! I used to page through magazines, or even do a Google image search, but not for several years.
My favorite way to see my characters is to find them on modeling sites. And my go-to site is Seattle Models Guild. Of course, they’re beautiful people, ha, but there is always someone of the right age and ethnicity to fit my vision of my peeps.
So this is a link to my hero, and here’s one to my heroine. (I’m linking rather than posting the photos as they are copyrighted images.) I don’t necessarily need readers to see them as I do, but I have to see them to get them on the page!